Financial Aid | TASFA
Applying with TASFA
The Texas Application for State Financial Aid is used to collect information to help determine eligibility for state financial aid programs that are administered by institutions of higher education in the state of Texas. Students that are classified as a Texas resident who cannot apply for federal financial aid using the FAFSA are encouraged to complete the TASFA.
General Texas Residency Requirements for Undocumented Students
There are strict residency requirements that are set for undocumented students. Make sure you meet the requirements before completing the TASFA.
- Graduated/will graduate from a Texas high school or received/will receive a GED certificate from Texas
- Lived in Texas for the three years leading up to high school graduation or GED certificate obtainment
- Lived or will live in Texas during the 12 months before enrolling for college
Gather and complete supplemental TASFA application documents
Supply as many documents as you can for TASFA. There are different forms to complete if you don't have some of the information listed below or in the "Tips" section at the end.
Income and Tax Info, if applicable
- Student Tax Form 1040 or 1099 and W2(s)
- Parent(s) Tax Form 1040 or 1099 and W2(s)
Order Tax Return Transcript from IRS for student and parent(s)
- If you have filed taxes before go here.
- If you have never filed taxes, moved, have a change in home address, or online form doesn’t work, print out and fax Form 4506-T.
Affidavit of Residency Senate Bill 1526
- Go to each colleges’ website to download and print their specific affidavit form
- Get Affidavit of Residency notarized for free by school official
If male, register for Selective Service
- If you have a SSN, sign up online and print out the Selective Service Acknowledgement Letter as proof of registration by going here.
- If you don’t have a SSN, print and fill out this
form and leave the social security field blank. Mail the form to Selective Service
System P.O. Box 94739 Palatine, IL 60094-4739.
Your Selective Service Acknowledgement Letter will arrive by mail in a few weeks.
- Create a copy of each supplemental TASFA Application Document for each college you apply to.
Print, submit and mail the TASFA application to each college you are applying to
Make sure to include your supplemental documents with your TASFA application. Since you have to mail each form, make sure to start early!
Download our TASFA Track Sheet to keep up on what documents each college has received or still needs.
Texas residency is verified through the college admissions process as the TASFA application is only accepted by Texas colleges.
If you are interested in applying for out of state schools check out this list of schools that provide 100% Financial Need for admitted undocumented students.
TASFA funds are limited and are provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Make sure you are ready to apply when the TASFA Application becomes available each year!
If parent(s) didn’t file taxes and/or don’t have an ITIN, fill out TASFA anyway indicating your situation. Special circumstances are considered. Reach out to colleges’ financial aid offices as well.
For help requesting a transcript online or filling out Form 4506-T, watch this video starting at 2 minutes 14 seconds.